The iconic Singer behind the equally iconic Sonic R, TJ Davis‘ deep love for the Sonic community extends to her wildly successful New Frontiers Kickstarter and her upcoming Speed of Sound Tour alongside Johnny Gioeli and Bentley Jones.
We recently spoke with TJ Davis at Sonic Boost about her love for the Sonic community and even her work with Gary Numan – learn more with our interview…
TJ Davis Sonic Boost 2026 Interview – Acclaimed Singer Talks Sonic, Community & More
Gamers Heroes
I really appreciate the time!
First things first – congrats on the New Frontiers Kickstarter becoming fully funded!
I got the vinyl myself, and I know some tiers sold out very quickly – including a limited-edition one!
What inspired you to take on this project in the first place?
TJ Davis
This project came about after hearing some of the songs from when I did the Sonic Symphony!
With lots of the albums and tracks from other games, I was quite surprised at how rocky everything was – because Sonic R is pure pop. I was a bit blown away by it!
When listening to an orchestra do all these different songs at the Sonic Symphony, I just thought:
“Wow!”
Then I went to Sonic EXPO – and they did it again!
I noticed one of the songs – a popular karaoke choice – was Undefeatable.
These are really strong songs – they’re big, dramatic songs!
I said to my keyboard player that when we go to Sonic EXPO, we’re not going to tell anybody this – and we didn’t. We rehearsed it once back in the UK, but we got out there – and we didn’t even sound check it.
We did a little medley, like the one I did last night, of “I’m Here” and “Undefeatable.”
Honestly, the reaction was just so amazing!
Everybody was saying:
“You’ve got to record it – you’ve got to do your own versions!”
Speaking to my Manager Michelle Belcher, she started talking:
“Right – how do you feel about doing an EP that concentrates on the songs from Sonic Frontiers?”
Funny enough, I had also just been approached by somebody that sings – Kayley James.
She had written this song and talked about doing a duet, which is the one on the EP called “Half of Me” – brilliant for an EP!
We’ve got the songs that we need – let’s go ahead and do it!
Gamers Heroes
I’m here for it – and I was there for the Sonic Symphony too!
I missed your stop, but Jun Senoue and Casey Lee Williams (great name!) did fantastic work. I know exactly what you’re talking about!
On that same note, talking about the fans, I love your One Way Dream video!
I love how the community came together for you for the Sonic Symphony, along with Super MAGFest.
Whether it be Sonic Boost or any other event, what have been some of your favorite community stories?
TJ Davis
Oh my goodness, there’s too many!
One of my favorites is when I went to Sonic EXPO when my keyboard player Mark Boden told them it would be a good idea for me and him to play the Sonic R game.
I’ll be honest – I haven’t played it; I’m not a gamer.
Instead, we got somebody to pretend to play! They played, and I pretended to play the game.
That’s probably one of my favorite stories, because Mark had no idea and this person played the actual game for me. That was fun!
I think the biggest thing has been the reaction coming on stage – it’s blown me away!
There are quite a few times I’ve gotten quite tearful; just meeting people and hearing all their stories about what the songs meant to them when they were younger.
I will say now because a few people have said “I love your songs.”
I’m the singer of Sonic R, while Richard Jacques wrote the songs. I’m just so grateful and happy I got a chance to sing them!
Gamers Heroes
Not just that, but there’s just that astounding legacy!
I was there day one, and I have multiple versions. I brought the Japanese SEGA Saturn version of Sonic R to get signed by you [thank you!], but I also have it for the PC.
The fans are there for you!
When it comes to your work with the Absolution Tour, what’s been your favorite part working with Bentley Jones?
TJ Davis
He helped produce One Way Dream, and we did some fantastic shows in London and Birmingham!
The Sonic community is pretty much worldwide. The audiences were absolutely fantastic – they always are!
Sonic gigs are the best live gigs to do, because it’s just such great fun!
Gamers Heroes
Talking Richard Jacques, he recently worked on Denshattack!, and continues to do incredible work as well.
I know you talked about how you worked on Sonic R, and the Metropolis Street Racer track from last night’s concert was truly incredible as well.
I was there for the journey with a Dreamcast; I was a 9.9.99 kid!
What have been some of your favorite experiences working alongside Richard on all these great tracks?
TJ Davis
Richard and I worked very well together!
I think I got it straight because I’m a pop singer, and I knew exactly what he wanted; I could hear and feel what he wanted to do.
MSR was harder in a way, because it has different styles. I don’t know whether I was successful on this [you were!], but I tried to change my voice to suit the different styles of its music.
Sonic R was also just pure joy when recording it from start to finish! We just had a great time, just doing those songs and having real fun.
Every day I’d go in the studio, and Richard would just go:
“Remember: It’s bright, it’s happy!”
Sometimes I would have a video screen with Sonic running to remind me to sing quick and smile a lot!
We had great fun recording those songs – it was fantastic!
Gamers Heroes
I think you raised an interesting point – my wife’s not a gamer, but she loves your music and other gaming music as well.
It’s amazing how great music can bridge the gap when it comes to Sonic – or anything else!
TJ Davis
I never realized as well!
I’ve worked with different people, and I’ve been a singer pretty much all my life. However, the gaming industry is absolutely huge!
It wasn’t really until lockdown that I realized how many people there were, because people were of course at home more; they were playing games.
I started dipping my toe back into the community, doing podcasts, interviews, and other things.
Then I was like:
“Oh my goodness, this is huge!”
Gamers Heroes
And we’re here for you too!
So going farther back, I’m also a huge 80s music fan – and I saw you worked with Gary Numan. That’s absolutely iconic!
I’ve gone to see New Order and countless other great shows that also bring people together. Gen Z, Millennials like me, Gen X, and more – they’re all there. It must have been really incredible working with another legend!
What are some of your favorite moments working with Gary Numan?
TJ Davis
I love Gary!
It was my first big tour – I’d always sung with loads of different bands, but Gary was my first big tour. I remember crying so much when I finished that first tour. because it was amazing.
You’re right – Gary is iconic, isn’t he? Singing those songs, I remember it just being a lot of fun.
Gary was very much like “run around do what you like.”
Funny enough, after that, he didn’t have any backing singers after me.
I always used to make the joke with him:
“I put you off completely of having another backing singer!” [laughs]
But Gary’s lovely! Two of my really good friends are still in the band – the keyboard player and the guitarist.
If they’re around in the UK, I’ll go and see them! It’s nice to go and see everybody.
Gamers Heroes
You’re the one and only!
I’d love to know this from you, and I’ve asked this to other composers and musicians…where do you personally find inspiration?
Some are inspired by other artists, some people find something in the bathtub.
Some people might have a melody stuck in their head!
TJ Davis
That’s really difficult…it all depends on what I’m singing.
To be honest, I’m a bit of a drama queen – I like the big rock ballads and anything particularly dramatic.
That’s why with New Frontiers, with songs like “I’m Here” and “Undefeatable,” I imagine it as a huge sort of Hollywood-style dramatic production.
Thankfully, my keyboard player Mark got the memo! He knew exactly what I thought, along with the people we brought in to actually produce it.
At the end, they could see where we were going with it, which was really nice.
Gamers Heroes
That’s a great answer!
Finally, what advice would you give to those that look up to you, that want to follow in your footsteps?
TJ Davis
Oh my goodness! Somebody asked me actually yesterday – they were talking about being a singer and what I would suggest.
For me, it was always been to just learn your craft. Make sure you get out there!
If you want to be a live singer, go to where live musicians are. Meet people, swallow that fear, and get up on stage and try things out!
Music is in the heart of everybody, isn’t it?
Don’t give your stuff away for free! Always try and protect your own material – which I think is quite difficult with streaming these days. I never had that back in the day…
Also, it’s going where your heart is, really – and enjoying it.
It’s a hard business. I think any sort of creative side of things can be, but you’ve got to believe in it and enjoy it while you’re doing it.
Meet people and take the advice as you’re going!
Gamers Heroes
That’s fantastic advice!
I always say strengthen community, and we’re all in this together.
TJ Davis
I think, if lockdown and COVID taught us anything, we’ve got to just literally do what we really want to do!
Do what makes us happy, you know?
Gamers Heroes
I couldn’t ask for a better closer – always find that joy.
Thank you so much!
TJ Davis
You’re very welcome!
For those feeling social, be sure to follow TJ Davis via her official Twitter/X, Bluesky, Instagram, and YouTube social media channels.
Be sure to also catch TJ Davis as part of the Speed of Sound Tour with Johnny Gioeli and Bentley Jones!
Learn more about the tour and secure your tickets via the official Speed of Sound website.
Thank you to Sonic Boost for inviting us to this event, and TJ Davis for her time!
Between their many shows and performances (catch their PokΓ©mon in Concert show August 28!), we recently spoke with Sixth Station Trio’s Anju Goto, Federico Strand Ramirez, and Katelyn Tan – learn more with our interview.
Continue Reading Sixth Station Trio Interview – Acclaimed Trio Talks Zelda, Community & More
Known for his work on such timeless properties as Final Fantasy and Vampire Hunter D, Acclaimed Artist Yoshitaka Amano’s next magnum opus is the hand-drawn anime ZAN. We recently spoke with him regarding ZAN and more – learn more with our interview…
Continue Reading Yoshitaka Amano Interview – Acclaimed Artist Talks ZAN & More
We recently asked Sudden Attack Zero Point Director Kim Tae-hyun questions about this title’s community, development, and more – learn more with our interview…
We recently spoke with Tony Weaver Jr. on the power that comes with using your voice – learn more with our interview…
We recently spoke with Serenity Forge’s Founder and CEO Z at Anime Expo 2026 on the importance of community, physical media, and even “cannonballs” – learn more with our interview…
We recently spoke with Ken Miyauchi at Anime Expo 2026 about Guilty Gear -Strive-, his love for the FGC, and even his current main – learn more with our interview…
The post TJ Davis Sonic Boost 2026 Interview – Acclaimed Singer Talks Sonic, Community & More appeared first on GamersHeroes.
from GamersHeroes https://ift.tt/cXuK0ED






No comments:
Post a Comment